New Works Mission
To help established and emerging playwrights develop new works as a part of LBP’s commitment to the arts.
To give each winner a quality reading that focuses on the words of the playwright in order to service the objective evaluation and critique of their work.
Literary Committee Mission
To objectively read, evaluate and vote on submitted works to discern the readiness for readings.
Established over 20 years ago, the New Works Literary Committee and Annual New Works Festival is a part of Long Beach Playhouse’s commitment to the arts. Each year starts with novice and experienced playwrights sending their un-produced plays to the committee. Each script is read and evaluated by members of the Literary Committee. Two “Winners” are selected for the festival. Each evening one of the winning plays is presented in the form of a staged reading providing the playwright the opportunity to hear their words brought to life by actors. The audience plays an important part by providing feedback for the playwright in the discussion that takes place after the staged reading. Winning playwrights also receive detailed written critiques by professional theatre critics.
Deadline and Procedures for 2019 festival submissions:
Submissions for the 2019 New Works Festival are June 30th, 2018.
PLEASE NOTE: WE ACCEPT ONLY UN-PRODUCED, NON-MUSICAL, FULL LENGTH PLAYS
1. Please submit the following in one package:
- Signed and completed submission form
- Check for the $10 processing fee (payable to: Long Beach Playhouse)
- Physical copy of script (Make sure script is securely bound, we prefer three prong folders or something similar.)
- Brief synopsis of the play (include with script)
- Complete character breakdown (include with script)
- PDF version of script emailed to email@example.com, subject line should read ‘NWF Submission Title of Play’
Note: You will need to mail a physical copy of the script AND email a PDF of the script.
Long Beach Playhouse
5021 East Anaheim St.
Long Beach, CA 90804
Note: Scripts must be postmarked by June 30th to be considered for the Festival. We do not return scripts.
2. If your manuscript is selected for a Staged Reading you will receive a $100 honorarium; two tickets for the festival; a written critique from a professional drama critic; a digital recording of the Staged Reading; participation in a post-show discussion with director, cast, professional critic, and the audience.
3. The reading will be open to the public with a $10 ticket price.
If you have any other questions regarding the Long Beach Playhouse New Works Festival, please send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
New Works Literary Committee Members
Committee Co-Chair: Laura Clagett
Committee Co-Chair: Anna Kate Mohler
2018 New Works Festival Critics